Saturday 29 November 2008

On Dancing Edge 2008

Yellow Angel, Painting by KWN

A dancing reality in the play of light and shadow.

In the gap between the visible and the invisible I find myself, when I struggle to see Dance in the piece by Nancy Zendora. The work is named Cartouche, and is choreographed to the music by composer Morton Feldman. I struggle in vain until I realize that I have to observe the play of light, which like reflections of a water is projected as a backdrop. In a flash, the dancers movements starts to resonate with the rapid movements of highlights on the backdrop, and the dance becomes magic. The slow, minimalistic moves made by the dancer seem to trig the pulse of light in an optic illusion produced by my willing act of interpretation.

It makes sense, as if I have entered the space of Zendora. In the following pieces I focus on how light and shadow produce spatiality and form in the performance. In the Voice of Light the dance takes place in a circle of light projected by a spotlight, and a small lantern in the form of a pyramid works as a counter point. Shining small pyramid / person big enlightened. It's like a Sufi mystery, and the dancer swings around, as if she confirms the hypothesis.

In the third and last piece New Flight I can only recall the mask, left on the stage and still shining from some kind of light. If it is from the inside, or only the reflections of a spotlight I can't figure out. It ought not to be, but the poetic truth is, that the light comes from within.

What kind of dance is this. It is invisible to me when I try to look straight at it, but still it is poetic and strong. It is unrecognisable, it is not real, but surreal.

Nancy I love You!
sincerely Yours
Dr Kurt

No comments: